When you are in business for yourself, you get to decide what you want to be known for in this world. You get to choose and establish your “personal brand identity”. Having a strong and consistent personal brand identity allows your target market to really get to know you. It helps you establish credibility and trust with them.
Here are a few examples of qualities that you might want to include in your personal brand; these qualities should come through in everything you say and do as you develop a relationship with your target market.
- Be known as an authority (expert) in your field. Take the time to study your area of expertise and your market. Keep learning and keep teaching what you know. Become that “go-to” person when it comes to your market
- Be known as a leader. Write and speak on topics that will help your target market solve their biggest problems. Be innovative and visible in your market. Take the lead and get involved in things related to those you serve
- Be known as authentic. Show your: competence; warmth; honesty; integrity; kindness; and consistency whenever possible
- Be known as a valuable resource. Go the extra mile to help your target market. Develop a network of colleagues and related services that you might recommend when serving your people
- Be known as generous. Refer to others when appropriate. Give without expectation
Your overall personal brand will evolve over time, but these qualities are timeless and will allow you to make real connections with your clients and your referrers. They will help you establish credibility, likability, and trust.
Deb Legge, PhD CRC LMHC
Dr. Legge is known nationally as “The Private Practice Mentor”. Her work has been featured by ACA, Counseling Today, AMHCA, ACA-NY, and in her website, InfluentialTherapist.com. For more information about how to get more clients and referrals, download her free Rapid Referrals Report: www.InfluentialTherapist.com/rapid